News:

U.S. Scale Masters Mission:
The U.S. Scale Masters Association is committed to the development and growth of Scale Aircraft Modeling by bringing people together to learn about the fascinating aspects of Aviation, Scale Realism, Competition, and Sportsmanship.

Main Menu

Is this a scale manuver??

Started by Lawrence Harville, Tue, 09/29/09, 08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence Harville

I had a contestant use a manuever that I was not sure was legal--What do you think??
He was flying an aerobatic plane and his manuever was

6.  SMOKE

When I ask him about it he said he was using it on manuevers and it was an option
He did use it on a couple of manuevers.

What do you think????????????????
When you give you opinion--tell us if you are a competitor, judge or CD, if you dont participate,at some level in scale contest,  this question is not for you.

He is going to come back and want to use this option--I need some input.
Lawrence

Roly

Hello Lawrence,

See page 22 of the Guidelines, looks like if the competitor says he's going to use smoke it can be a mechanical option. If the smoke works, 10 for the mechanical option it's a 0. The same mechanical option or scale operation that supports a maneuver combination option may be used only once for scoring in a flight however he can use it as many times as he likes.

I have seen smoke used at the Championships more than once.

I would say that the manuver is an allowedscale mannuver as a certified judge, CD and competor.

Hope this helps.

Roly
Roly Worsfold
U.S.S.M.A - Area Director - British Columbia

Lawrence Harville

Roly  I think you are correct to a point--since USSM requires a mechanical option to be used in combination--if blow off the manuevere that you are combining with smoke--I dont think you would received maxium points
That is covered in the NOTE on page 23   USSM tries to "eliminate the flip of a switch = 10 points"

I understand for USSM  smoke must be combined with a manuever and it does not stand alone
"Smoke with a fly by"   is entirely different than just "Smoke"

So Chuck you were not just using smoke--- if you screwed up the fly by and had great smoke you should receive Less than 10  for a smoke with a fly by
BUT
I am really wanting input for AMA contest  where there is no combination with mechanical manuvers
In AMA is just "SMOKE"  OK?
I am sorry I didn't specify AMA instead of USSM

Thanks for the input that is the help I am looking for
It is always better to have backup rather than contestants thinking I am just winging it

marauderbomber

Hi Lawrence,

I'm a certified judge and competitor.

This is my two cents on your question/situation.

I don't think in my opinion that "Smoke" should be considered a maneuver. There is no real skill in flipping a switch. It sounds like a desperate call out for I can't do other maneuvers with my aerobatic model. "Yikes"   

At our contest we have contestants' that compete with aerobatic models and they use smoke in "Air Show Fashion" (add on) not as a maneuver.

Me personally, I would never use smoke in any maneuver...it shows every mistake you make...not good for the contestant from the flight judge(s) view.

Regards,

Kenny