Markings Question

Started by Flyfast1, Mon, 10/01/12, 07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyfast1

Hello,

As a novice scale modeler, I have a question about markings that I hope someone can answer.  If my marking documentation for a Supermarine Spitfire that I use in competition shows a squadron/aircraft code of "ABC" ("AB" designating the squadron and "C" designating the particular aircraft) and I have "ABD" on my aircraft, is there a score reduction, assuming that everything else about the markings is correct, i.e., size, shape, color, orientation, location, etc.?  I am wondering whether the marking documentation presented can be representative of the actual documentation, to allow the markings on the plane to be slightly changed for personal preference, or whether they have to match exactly?  Based upon Section 3.3 of the Competition Guide, it appears that they may need to match exactly to avoid a score reduction, but I wanted to confirm.

Thanks,

-Ed B.

j_whitney

That is correct for the classes that have static judging.  Those that don't (AMA Fun Scale types) SHOULD have a picture of the exact aircraft, but pictures squadron mates are acceptable.

When I say pictures I am including artist's renditions as well.

BTW - the deduction would be fairly small - 1/4 point I think? - debpending on the actual severity of the mis-mark (e.g,i, f you went from ABC to XYZ.  Another BTW - American squadron codes are generally written AB*C, German AB+C, and British are AB o C.- the * =  the star, the + obviously the cross and the o equates to the roundel
Jeff Whitney
Chairman, Advisory Committee
Newsletter Editor

Flyfast1

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  So for classes that have full static judging, e.g., expert, team and advanced, the markings on the model have to match the documentation exactly, yes?

-Ed B.

j_whitney

yes, or suffer a deduction,  See my modified post above
Jeff Whitney
Chairman, Advisory Committee
Newsletter Editor

Flyfast1

Great, thanks for clarifying!

-Ed B.

marauderbomber

Greetings Ed,

The big question I have to ask is...What class are you going to be flying your Spitfire in? That way I can probably shed a little more light on your situation.

Kenny

Flyfast1

Hi Kenny,

Since I am building and flying my own plane, I would like to compete with others who are also building and flying their own planes.  I guess this only leaves me with the Expert Class, but perhaps the Advanced Class would be another option?  It would be nice if there was a beginner or lower class than Expert for participants who build and fly their own planes.

-Ed B.

marauderbomber

Ed,

Good to hear. I to started out building and flying in expert class. I looked at it this way...if you finish last in competition you can only go up. ;D

I would like to give a couple of tips on your documentation (since I have done static and flight judging for a few years). First, always remember that you are designing/finishing your model to look like the 1:1 scale you have chosen to compete with. (I like to think of my models as if I were to put them in a shrink machine to the scale I want them to be).

Second, research your 1:1 full scale in depth...eg. good B/W or color photos of multiple views. Good accurate 3 or more views. DON'T short change yourself. If you show very little documentation the judges might think you are trying to hide something. Also, don't overkill on your documentation...the judges only have so much time to judge you model. Give them enough so that they will say in there mind...very well documented model...nice job. That will be a feather in your cap on static.

If you use B/W photos make sure you have well documented info as to where the colors go or the best you can. Also good colors chip info to support your model. If you have color photos make sure you have the same color chips info to support your color photos. "DON'T LEAVE IT UP TO THE STATIC JUDGE TO MAKE THIS DICISSON". "Say it, Do it, Prove it".

You really need to have a photo of the 1:1 you intend to model for real good static scores.

I hope this helped.

Kenny

Flyfast1

Kenny,

Thanks.  This information helps a lot.

-Ed B.